I love a good taco but sometimes they can get kind of boring you know what I mean. Let's face it tacos are usually chop meat some taco seasoning and cheese. Well last night being I decided to change it up a little and it was the perfect night for it being taco tuesday and all.
This recipe starts off in the slow cooker, that's right the slow cooker so you can head off to work or run some errands and not have to worry about cooking when you get back all you'll have to do is just a little prep work. To your slow cooker you'll add black bean, diced tomatoes, mild roasted chili, jalapenos, chicken and some spices.
Place your slow cooker on low for a few hours and then all you'll have to do when you return is drain the liquid and shred your chicken by using 2 forks or a good helpful hint I got from a friend is if you have a kitchenaid you can place the chicken in the kitchenaid bowl and using the paddle attachment on low and it shreds the chicken for you.
Place the chicken back in the slow cooker on warm as you set the table and get you sides ready. I use sour cream and some shredded lettuce and cabbage, but you can use all different types of toppings like avocado, cheddar cheese and pico de gallo just to name a few. I hope you give it a try and enjoy the change from your regular chop meat taco.
Note : If you don't like things too spicy just leave out all or some of the chilies and peppers.
- 3 chicken breast or 1 pkg chicken tenderlions
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp mild fire roasted chiles
- 1 tbsp jalapeno , sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp serrano pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pure ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro ( optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1Season chicken with salt .
- 2Place the can of diced tomatoes, roasted chiles, black beans, jalapeno and serrano peppers in slow cooker.
- 3Place chicken in the slow cooker and add the cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.
- 4Cook on low 4 hour for the chicken breast, and 2 hours for chicken tenders.
- 5Meanwhile make your Pico de gallo chop your tomato and red onion and place in a small bowl with the juice of 1 lime and 2 tsp cilantro (optional).
- 6Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and with a ladle remove any excess liquid. Shred chicken and place it back in the slow cooker on warm if needed until ready to serve.