I get invited to a lot of brunches on Sundays and usually they are a potluck you know where everyone has to bring something, now of course there's your usual muffins, bagels, french toast bakes ,quiches and probably some fruit mixed in there somewhere, but how about a Sour cream cake with layers of cinnamon sugar layered in the middle and then coated on top. It's the perfect amount of sweetness to end a great mid day get together with some friends.
Your thinking great I have to get up early on a Sunday morning to bake instead of just picking up something a the store, well don't worry because this cake can be made the night before and will be just as fresh as if you woke up at 7:00 in the morning to make. Everyone will praise on how moist and crumbly this cake is and the cinnamon sugar adds just the right touch of sweetness. I hope you and your friends enjoy like mine did!!
Note: I made mine in 2 8*8 pans and kept one for myself but you can use just one 13*9 pan.
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) room temp
- 1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8*8 pans or one 13*9 pan.
- 2Sift together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; set aside.
- 3In another bowl cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add whole egg until just combined and then add egg yolk until just combined DO NOT OVER MIX.
- 4Add sour cream and vanilla extract. Add your flour mixture 1 cup at a time beating until the flour is just incorporated into the egg mixture; set aside
- 5For the Topping: In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 tsps of cinnamon.
- 6Pour half of your cake batter into pan, coat with a layer of cinnamon mixture. Dollop the remaining cake batter on top and spread( its ok if it does not cover the whole cake), cover with remaining cinnamon mixture.