I love a good chicken pot pie. That flaky pie crust filled with shredded chicken, loads of vegetables and a good cream sauce. Come on your mouth is watering just thinking about it isn't.
First we'll start off by chopping up our carrots, celery and potatoes.
Then we'll place our pie crust in our pie plate
Bake and Enjoy!
Tips: I cut my butter up so that way it will melt faster. In place of cooking your chicken you can also save time by going to your local grocery store and buying a rotisserie chicken and shredding it up. Instead of fresh vegetables you can always use frozen.
Note: A roux is a mixture of butter, flour, and a liquid
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust
- 1/3 cup butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 potatoes, quartered and diced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced thin
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup frozen/ fresh peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 1lb pkg chicken tenders or 2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate with cooking spray, roll out 1 pie crust onto the bottom of the plate.
- 3Cook your chicken; spray baking sheet with cooking spray; place chicken tenders on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10, or until chicken is no longer pink. If using chicken breast slice chicken in half and then bake.
- 4In a small pot, melt butter over low heat. Turn heat up to medium and add the onion; stirring frequently until the onions are translucent in color and tender about 5 minutes.
- 5Take chicken out of oven and remove from pan, let cool.
- 6Meanwhile chop up your carrots, celery and potatoes and place in a large bowl along with the corn and peas.
- 7Once the onions are cooked whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until everything is blended together.
- 8Gradually mix in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly and has thickened. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- 9Remove pot from heat.
- 10Shred chicken using two forks.
- 11Add chicken to bowl with vegetables
- 12Pour your roux over your chicken and vegetables and stir until everything is covered.
- 13Spoon mixture into pie plate. Top with second crust; seal the edges together by folding over the top crust and pitching it together with the bottom crust.
- 14Cut 4 slits on the top of the crust to let steam out. Cover the edges with strips of foil or a pie shield to prevent the edges from getting too dark.
- 15Bake for 40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Take your strips of foil off the last 10 minutes.
- 16Let stand for 10 minutes before serving so the sauce can thicken.