This dish is the first dish I ever made for my now husband almost 11 years ago. It can be really nerve racking to cook for someone you just met for the first time and to make things a little more stressful his parents were coming over too. Now I didn't want to make just some ordinary dish I had to win him over especially that before he even talked to me his cousin told him what a good cook I was.
This chicken Marsala has a small twist to it after cooking up the chicken and making the sauce I place everything into a 13 by 9 baking dish bake it for about 15 minutes and then and some mozzarella on top of each piece of chicken and place it make in the oven until the cheese is all gooey and bubbly. My husband loved it the chicken was soft and tender and baking it let the chicken soak up some of that delicious sauce and the addition of adding the cheese was a big hit!. To this day my father in law wouldn't order Chicken Marsala at any restaurant because he says no one can make it like I do.
For a healthier version just leave off the mozzarella it will taste just as good! You can also prepare this dish using turkey cutlets instead.
- 1 pkg Think sliced chicken breast , pounded to 1/4 inch thick
- 1 10 oz pkg white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- about 5-6 slices mozzarella
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Pound each cutlet to 1/4 inch thickness. In a swallow bowl or dish mix together flour and garlic powder. Season each chicken cutlet with salt and pepper on both sides.
- 3Coat the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour.
- 4In a saute pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add chicken to pan and cook until brown just a few minutes.( Remember we will cook it again in the oven)
- 5While chicken is still in the pan turn heat up to high and add 1/4 cup of Marsala wine to the pan this will deglaze the pan and also coat the chicken in the wine giving it some added flavor.
- 6Remove chicken and place in a 13 by 9 baking dish. Rinse and slice mushrooms; add remaining tablespoon of butter to pan and cook the mushrooms for about 2 minutes on med-high to let some of the juices out and to give them some color. Add chicken broth and 1 cup of Marsala wine to the pan let simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Pour mushroom wine mixture over chicken; add baking dish to oven and cook for about 15 minutes and then add your mozzarella on top until melted.